The Ravensthorpe-Hopetoun district is 530 Km. south east of Perth and 290km east of Albany. First settled as a pastoral lease in 1868 the region soon boomed with the discovery of gold. First Gazetted in 1901 Ravensthorpe was declared the town site and Hopetoun the port.
Today most of region is productive farmland and in the spring visitors from around the world flock to the region to enjoy the display of wildflowers some species only to be seen around Ravensthorpe.
Beach fishing is a popular and rewarding pastime.